Monday, November 3, 2014
Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA
The New England Chapter of the Urban & Regional Information Systems Association (NEURISA) hosted its annual NEURISA Day conference on Monday, November 3, 2014. This one day conference included a keynote session, exhibitors, and presentations from professionals in the GIS community.
NEURISA Day 2014 Keynote Speaker, Greg Babinski, GISP
Finance & Marketing Manager, King County GIS Center, Seattle, WA
Chair, URISA GIS Management Institute
Past President, URISA
NEURISA was proud to welcome 2014 NEURISA Day Keynote Speaker Greg Babinski. Mr. Babinski is a highly successful advocate for the use of GIS to improve all aspects of local government business practices, and is internationally recognized as a prominent contributor to several effective efforts to advance the cause of the profession. In his tenure as President of URISA, Mr. Babinski led the expansion of the organization into the international realm, adding several new chapters around the world. As the current Chair of URISA’s GIS Management Institute, Mr. Babinski is dedicated to developing resources that advance professional best practices and standards for the management of GIS operations.
Links to Presentations Below
8:45 - 9:00 Introduction, Chris Akin, NEURISA President
9:00 - 9:45 Keynote, Mr. Greg Babinski, GISP, King County GIS Center & URISA Past President
9:45 – 10:15 Exhibitor Shout Out
10:15 - 10:30 Break
10:30 - 11:45 Room 1/Session 1 – New Technology - Moderator: Michael Olkin, Town of Amherst, MA
- Using Online GIS Tools to Map Spatial Narratives, Victoria Beckley, Smith College Spatial Analysis Lab
- ArcGIS Pro - Getting Started and Lessons Learned, David Shortman, CDM Smith
- Python+Geo - Guido Stein, AppGeo
10:30 - 11:45 Room 2/Session 1 – Online Maps in Government & Infrastructure - Moderator: Steve Sharp, VT Center for Geographic Information
- Streamlining Municipal Operations in Rockport, MA, Matthew Barrett, Town of Rockport, MA
- Integrating GIS & IWMS to Create an Effective Space Planning Tool, Niels la Cour, UMass Amherst
- Using Intelligent Maps to Engage Communities and Create Responsive Government, Kate Hickey, AppGeo
11:45 - 1:15 Exhibitor Visit / Lunch / Raffle
1:15 - 2:45 Room 1/Session 2 – Looking Towards the Future- Moderator: Erin Jacque, Tighe & Bond
- Statewide Standardized Tax Mapping: Lessons Learned, Future Prospects, Neil MacGaffey, MassGIS
- NOAA Digital Coast: Improving Coastal Resilience, Jamie Carter, NOAA Office of Coastal Management
- Brownfields Assessment Program, Amy Vaillencourt, Tighe & Bond
1:15 - 2:45 Room 2/Session 2 - GIS Profession and Outreach - Moderator:Brett Horr, Town of York, ME
- GIS Management Institute, Greg Babinski, URISA
- Workshop: Supporting Ebola First Responders in West Africa through OpenStreetMap: A Hands-On Workshop, Andy Anderson, Amherst College & Victoria Beckley, Smith College Spatial Analysis Lab
2:45 - 3:15 Break & Visit with Exhibitors
3:15 - 4:30 Room 1/Session 3 – Applied Technology - Moderator: Chris Akin, FM Global
Precision Street Panoramas in GIS, Paul Smith, Cyclomedia Technology
Andrew, William and Ann – finding their graves, Fran V. Hutton Lee, Town of Medway, MA
3:15 - 4:30 Room 2/Session 3 – Hands On Workshop - Moderator: Shane Bradt ,UNH Cooperative Extension
- Workshop: Census Data Access Workshop, Alexandra Barker, US Census Bureau
- Applied Geographics, Inc.
- CAI Technologies
- CDM Smith
- CycloMedia Technology Inc.
- Design Products Company
- KAPPA Mapping, Inc.
- Latitude Geographics
- New England GeoSystems
- Stone Environmental, Inc.
- Tighe & Bond
Want to stay informed? Become a NEURISA Member today! http://www.neurisa.org/
Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/NewEnglandURISA and Twitter at twitter.com/NEURISA
NEURISA's Corporate Sponsors
AppGeo - BSC Group - CAI - CDM Smith - Critigen